Archive

Posts Tagged ‘SCOM’

Exchange 2013 Management Pack

December 18, 2013 Leave a comment

We have recently deployed a few Exchange 2013 servers in a few of our labs.  We are planning on putting some production users on the servers in the new year.  Our Exchange engineering group has requested the servers to be managed by SCOM, so I took a look at the new management pack, especially given the history of the management packs for Exchange 2010.

If you are worried, based on your experience with 2010, then don’t be.  This management pack, as it is now, is very lightweight.  There are a few classes, a few monitors, and I think one rule.  This is very different from the last version.  Of course, gone is the correlation engine as well.

Instead of re-hashing what has already been said I will just post this link to the MSFT blog which talks about this MP:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2013/05/14/exchange-2013-management-pack-released.aspx

Advertisements

Get a list of monitored URLs out of SCOM via PowerShell

December 18, 2013 4 comments

Our URL monitors, imported using the BulkURL utility for SCOM have display names that contain the text URL.  The names of the monitors containing URL are unique and contain a list of SEVERAL urls being watched.  For example we have one monitor for SharePoint, which contains several URL’s of sharepoint sites, and another called SharePoint2 that contains several more URL’s.  The point is, you are going to query for the name of your parent monitor, then you can get all the URL’s that are contained in that parent monitor.

Find URL monitors if URL is in the monitor display name:

get-monitoringclass | where {$_.DisplayName -like “*URL*”} | FT Name

This will return only GUIDS, if created in console.  To get the display name you need to execute this:

get-monitoringclass | where {$_.DisplayName -like “*URL*”} | FT Name, DisplayName

Now from the list find the GUID and the display name of the actual monitor, not watcher node:

WebApplication_f1cea1da6eab40e4a7c27d0f6141cdfe

WebApplication_e6a8be62bd1d448ea4787284d0df5a8c

WebApplication_dce99aee7c924d24a01d9df7532162f7

WebApplication_a34f8e5f51ac45558146e7a53ba1797b

From those guids, you can now run the following command and dump a list of URLS:

get-monitoringobject -monitoringclass (get-monitoringclass -Name WebApplication_a34f8e5f51ac45558146e7a53ba1797b) | Select-object DisplayName | export-csv “My Location”

From what I could tell there are many ways to get urls into SCOM, but nothing out of the box to dump the monitors out of SCOM.  Powershell, of course is probably one of the best and fastest ways to achieve this.  Hat tip to Charles Champion for working with me on this.

Exchange 2010 Most Recent MP (14.3.38.2) Release (for Exchange 2010 SP2) and the Issue

June 28, 2012 Leave a comment

I am very happy to see that the Exchange team made this issue public and are working on a fix.  I am also happy I did not deploy it as soon as it came out.  This just goes to show that you really need to test management packs when they first come out.  This doesn’t mean just looking at the console, but the application that the management pack touches, as I don’t think people who deployed this had any indication of problems until end users started to complain about mailbox access.

Anyway, let’s hope they release a fix soon, but in the meanwhile if you have deployed it then they post a work around.  Here is the link to their blog with a detailed description of the issue and the work around.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/06/28/mailboxes-on-a-database-are-quarantined-in-an-environment-with-system-center-operations-manager.aspx

Categories: Operations Manager Tags: , ,