SCOM 2007 SP1: Remove-DisabledMonitoringObject Issues
Did you, like me, import the HP server management pack and have a large clustered Exchange environment running on HP servers? Did you notice how frequent the discoveries run and monitors change state? How about the duplicate alerting for cluster’s going offline? Sometimes it’s nice to have all your bases covered, but other times it turns into a management mess. Realizing that there are other groups responsible for the HP hardware, I decided to exclude all of our Exchange servers as well as other applications (OCS/BlackBerry/SharePoint) from HP monitoring. I created a over ride mp for the HP management packs (I did just one, instead of one for each of their management packs) and created a group targeting the windows computer class that contained all of my servers by OU and name filtering and saved it in the HP override mp. Once I verified the membership was correct, I disabled the discovery for this group, then ran the “remove-disabledmonitoringobject” command from the command shell. All the while I had my console scoped to the HP Server discovered objects (over 1000 were listed and my group membership was about 550). When I ran it I would see something similar to this after it completed:
I got a little concerned, and talked to the elite DSE Jonathan Almquist. We did some queries, but ever time I would run this I would get this output. I did notice the number of objects listed in the targeted class window was decreasing. I had to keep executing this until all the disabled objects were finally removed. Once they were finally removed I no longer got the red text. Jonathan had told me that there were some support engineers who said that they had seen this issue with customers who had large SCOM deployments. So if you have a large SCOM implementation and are trying to do what I was, don’t be surprised if you see this, just continue to remove.